SERVICOM (Service Compact) is a Federal Government initiative that was established in 2004 to ensure optimal service delivery in all government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs). In line with this goal, the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital has keyed into the objectives of SERVICOM, by ensuring that our clients (the patients) receive good quality, timely and efficient services whenever they access our facilities in the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital.
It is in view of the aforementioned objectives that the SERVICOM Unit in the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital is saddled with the responsibility of ensuring that the hospital upholds the tenets of the Patients’ Bill of Rights.
The SERVICOM Unit has put in place certain measures to actualize these objectives including developing and implementing the Standard Operating Procedures & Servicom Service Charter; ascertaining job descriptions (duties/tasks) of staff, regulating/monitoring and evaluating service delivery in the hospital by conducting Patient Satisfaction Surveys and other service improvement measures using relevant indicators.
It is also within its purview to continuously check duty rosters and attendance registers to curtail suboptimal service delivery in the hospital.
Below, is the SERVICOM organogram of the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital. It comprises Principal and Frontline SERVICOM Officers. The latter report to the former and the former report to the DCMAC who is the SERVICOM Nodal Officer in UPTH.
The DCMAC (SERVICOM Nodal Officer)
- Is the head of the Parastatal SERVICOM Unit (PSU) in the hospital.
- Holds weekly meetings with all the Principals and Frontlines SERVICOM Officers (the entire SERVICOM Unit).
- Attends to matters that require urgent attention that cannot be handled peripherally (by SERVICOM Principal & Frontline officers).
- Is expected to respond to complaints within 10 working days.
- Is expected to report the progress of the resolution of the complaint within 15 working days, statutorily.
- Plans and reviews the strategies of the SERVICOM Unit.
- Reviews weekly reports submitted by the Charter Development /Implantation Desk Officer.
- Takes disciplinary actions against erring SERVICOM staff.
- Reports directly to the Chief Medical Director on SERVICOM matters and the SERVICOM Office Presidency (through the CMD) in line with the provisions of the SERVICOM guidelines with respect to the responsibilities of SERVICOM Nodal Officers in MDAs.
DUTIES OF THE PRINCIPAL & FRONTLINE DESK OFFICERS
CHARTER DEVELOPMENT/IMPLEMENTATION DESK OFFICER:
- To guide the departments/Units and other service frontlines on Charter formulation and implementation.
- To monitor the implementation of Service Charter periodically.
- To coordinate and review Charter in conjunction with the service improvement Desk Officer.
- Draws up the duty/leave rosters and is in charge of posting frontline desk officers to various departments after due consultation with the DCMAC.
- To periodically brief the DCMAC with regards to formulating and implementing the Service Charter.
- Reports to the DCMAC.
- To carry out any other function as may be assigned by the DCMAC in line with service delivery.
CUSTOMER CARE/COMPLAINTS DESK OFFICER:
- To oversee the reception areas of the hospital.
- To coordinate, produce and publicize the client care policy of the hospital.
- To produce and circulate client feedback format to customers.
- To collate, analyze and publicize comments by the clients.
- To ensure clients are aware of the hospital complaints procedure.
- To keep records of all complaints, comments, compliments and suggestions by customers.
- To periodically (quarterly) publicize a summary of complaints, as well as commendations and compliments received by action taken.
- Reports to the Charter Development/Implementation Desk Officer and the DCMAC.
SERVICE/QUALITY IMPROVEMENT DESK OFFICER:
- To ensure the promotion of quality assurance and best practices in hospital services delivery.
- To in conjunction with the Charter Desk Officer monitor the implementation of the Hospital Service Charter.
- To carry out the Patient Satisfaction Surveys.
- To update the Service Delivery Improvement plans and actions of the hospital for further deliberation by the SERVICOM SOP Technical Committee.
- To carry out other function that may be assigned by the DCMAC with regards to quality improvement in service delivery.
STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES DESK OFFICER:
- To assist the DCMAC in collating the standard operating procedure drafts from departments /units.
- To liaise with the various departments for the purpose of the development and revision of the standard operating procedures.
- To liaise with the Service Improvement Desk Officer to see to it that the standard operating procedure is followed at all times.
- To report to the Charter Development/Implementation Desk Officer and the DCMAC.
- To carry out other function that may be assigned by the DCMAC.
SERVICOM FRONTLINE DESK OFFICERS:
- To take complaints directly from the service outlets.
- To ensure that services do not fail at the service outlets.
- To intimate patients about the modus operandi of the hospital.
- To sensitize the clients (patients) on their rights and privileges.
- To address any enquiry bordering on service delivery that the clients may have.
- Reports to the principal SERVICOM Officers.
- To ensure that they issue aggrieved customers the complaints form after all efforts to solve the issue fail.